Oh travelling is my passion. I love travelling and want to explore every corner of the world sometime. And I know many of you have the same passion as I do.
Have you ever thought of converting your passion into business; why not if you know your city has some tourist spot or some location near by your city which has some kind of attraction then you can guide the other traveler to those locations and earn.
But this is also not very easy because you should be a person who knows and love the culture and history of your city. And also loves to talk because talking is very important unless you will not speak people will not know anything about your city and will not enjoy your company; and if the customers are not happy there will be no more work. You should be a good entertainer.
Some of the potential challenges you may face starting a tour guide business include:
- Location and climate can be a problem because many locations are not always a tourist spot.
- You need to have a personal vehicle and good contact with the rental vehicle provider.
- In the beginning you have to spend some capital money from your side for doing research, advertisement and petrol.
- You must have patience and tolerance level well set because your travelers may happen to be demanding and with lots of tantrums.
- You must be mentally prepared for the long working hours and also ready to work on weekends and even in public holidays.
- You must avoid home sick feeling because may be possible that you have to be away from home almost every day.
- You must have contacts of good hotels and restaurant where you can make your travelers have refreshment.
- Also you always have to build a good rapport with your client so that they will remember your work and always ask for your services.
- Earning can be slow in the beginning.
Below are the few steps for you to get started.
- Do a survey of your location: Do a complete survey of your city and places nearby your city. Make a check on which location is best suited for this kind of business and which is the best season for it. In the beginning you will have to put some money into the business like doing a survey will require you to personally visit those places, check on the food malls etc. Also some money will be needed for advertisement also.
- Do a complete research: Collect all information about all the places and make notes of their historical values and culture. Ah! I must say you must have some collection of pretty stories sung by the local people who reside there. It’s a must to have, apart from historical values and above all you have to add the same spice while telling it to your customers. Come on I know it is not that easy you need to do lots of practice. Try to develop a comic timing trust me it helps a lot.
Remember do not make a common mistake which usually all guides do that is not taking tourist to the places that they want to go.
- Practice makes the man perfect: Do a lot of practice on how you narrate the history to them. Initially write down what you have planned to say until you are an expert. Best thing take your friends n relatives on tour and practice. See what they have to say about you. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
- Do Advertisement: Once everything is set, means you know the location and now ready to dive in the business you need to advertise yourself. Put up advertisements at airports, bus stations, railway station, common tourist attractions, and restaurants. You can also put up your own website also for the internet lovers. Also have a business card set for yourself and don’t forget to give it to your customers every time.
- Make a scheduler: You must have a scheduler with you. In your business it is a must because without planning you will end up ruining all. So planned out all your tours patiently and timely for a successful run. Everything should be planned, the place and the timing, your narration, etc. Make a note of how much tour you are going to handle in a week. Make schedules of weeks.
Now what are you waiting for? Get set and go!