One day I was just thinking about what would be my next topic for my dear readers and then a friend of mine came home crying. I asked what the reason is for it, he said he is not happy with his current job, and wanted to change his path but he is confused what to choose. So I gradually said, go and see a career counselor. And there I got my next topic to share with you.
Lets us learn first what career counseling is all about.
In Career Counseling, there is a person who helps you know and understand yourself so that you can take your educational, career and life decisions well. They are the person who deals with your career exploration, career change, personal career development and other career related issues. They will help you in self assessment and self analysis through aptitude, personality, interest, skills, resources and temperament. It’s a big decision of anybodies life so a counseling session is a good thing for everybody.
A professional counselor must possess a degree / PhD in psychology or human behavior along with their educational qualification. Now days there are few educational institutes available who provides diploma courses in career counseling. Though there are no hard rules for it but mostly people who come for a session prefers that the person should have some kind of relative degree and has taken training in Career Counseling.
Basically the career counseling involves around –
- Finding Your Career Objectives: The counselor will help your explore and understand what you want from your career, how you want your life to be. They will discuss various factors related to your goal so that you will be able to take a better decision towards your career prospective. They will also help you to provide as much as possible information about the path you are opting for.
- Discovering Your Skills: The counselor will help you in finding your additional skills and attributes you have which may interest the employers. They will help you in getting desired salary, job market, location, and educational possibilities while keeping in mind your qualifications, experience, strengths and weaknesses.
- Career Counselor will help you set up your personal goal.
- Handling Your Grievance: A counselor will help you resolve your personal issues and or problems at work. These problems includes performance anxiety, redundancies, anger-management problems, stress, bullying, strained relationships with colleagues, tendency to worry a lot, depression, low self-esteem, low self-confidence.
Potential challenges you may face -
- The biggest challenge involve in career counseling is to encourage people to go for a career counseling sessions. Almost everyone (students/professionals) prefers to take advice from their friends and family. Professionals also seek help from their senior colleagues and other professionals.
- People also seek career guidance from teachers, managers, trainers and Human Resources (HR) specialists rather than a counseling session.
- Career counseling sessions are generally short and may involve one or two sessions only.
- Career web portals are also in fashion now, these portals help in resume writing and how to handle interviews and also answer questions and people prefer these portals.
- So if you are going for a career in Career Counseling you must have to join big firms in order to gain fame and experience and good earning.
- You can have your own portal to provide services but it will take long time to establish a good online business.
But where there is a will there is a way. So if you have the required degree and diploma and have the talent to help people to find their way out in their desired career and sort out their grievance then this is the best suited career for you.