Local / Mobile Food Provider
Local food provider / Mobile Food Shop is buying food of the customer’s choice and delivering the same within a specific period of time. This is a fairly new concept. Earlier, the idea of buying food and delivering it at the customers’ doorstep is something that people never imagined for themselves. People loved to shop, checking out stuff and buying it gave them enormous joy. Shopping still gives great pleasure, only the method has changed for some people at some occasions.
Who is the target customer for this novel type of job? People who are too tired to go out after a hard day’s work, students who don’t have the time to spare, homemakers who would like to give themselves a break, and some who simply love the idea to get food delivered at home. Isn’t it great, just to browse through choices, place an order, and food, piping hot (sizzlers) or cold (ice cream), gets delivered in your hands, waiting to be devoured.
What is the structure and requirement of this business? Since people have to browse through menus and place an order, they have to be provided menus. They will then place an order with the help of phone calls; through website or an app. Sumptuous food will be bought and delivered to the customers with the help of fast and safe transportation.
Readers who are excited with this idea and would like to venture in it, here are some pointers for them to begin. It would be an added advantage for people who love food and have fun “dealing” with it. Here is how you should go about it:
- Keeping yourself in the center, decide upon the circumference, i.e. the area from where you will be able to buy food and deliver it in specific time.
- Conduct a survey of all the eateries, small, medium and large in the area you have zeroed down upon. Collect their latest menu cards and give the owners of the eateries, an introduction of yourself and the kind of business you wish to undertake.
- Start building a good rapport with the owners. You are going to, after all, collaborate with them and their co operation is one of the basic necessities of your business.
- Study all the menus, the kind of food, their prices, service etc.
- Decide upon how much time will be required to place orders and transport the deliverables.
- Based on these details, decide upon the target customers.
- Prepare pamphlets giving details about restaurants, types of food, prices (these prices must include your service charges too) etc. Decide upon the most important parts as there is a constraint to how much one can spend on printing. The pamphlets must include details of the name and nature of your business and contact details.
- Distribute pamphlets to all the customers you wish to target. Provide offers such as no delivery charges for the first transaction. Everyone loves free stuff. These kinds of offers will help build publicity and establish your business that is presently new and upcoming.
- Another offer could be giving bonus points for purchase of x amount of items. Addition of the bonus points and arriving at a given number can make the customer eligible for some gift/prize.
- Be extremely courteous and professional while carrying out purchases and deliveries, interacting with your customers, collaborators etc.
- While doing all of this, simultaneously start developing your business website in your mind. Write down new ideas; check out other websites to get some ideas etc.
- Invest in your new website, engage good, reliable resources. Give your website developer clear and concise requirements. Check the development at every milestone and give immediate, clear feedback. Ensure that testing happens at developer end too. It is advisable to have a user friendly website that provides clear menus. Navigating the website must be smooth, where people check out availability of food, prices and place their orders. Also, it is good idea to get your website optimized for search engines. Do it.
- Your website will take you in the homes of each and every person that is computer savvy. Needless to say, this is a huge community. Do invest in building a website for your business, the returns will be great. Keep your website updated continuously.
- Engage more resources for your growing business. Employ hardworking, indigenous people who will pick up and deliver food as per your instructions. The more you spend on your business, the better it will function. It will become very popular and you will earn huge profits.
- The next step is building an app. As a good amount of populace is addicted to cell phones, it is a great idea to be readily accessible to these through mobile apps. With just a couple of clicks, people will place orders of their food requirements with you.
- People whose requirement is to work on this job only on weekends and earn some additional income can also undertake this venture. The scale that they want to develop their business into depends on them entirely. They can invest so far as they can cater to customers only on weekends. Customers who want to relax during weekends and buy some food supplies that will last them through the week are a kind of target customer.
- Inform the owners of restaurants to keep you updated about the changes they may have in their menus, prices etc. Visit them often, to check out whether there have been any kinds of changes.
- Encourage your customers to give feedback about the food, your service etc. This feedback can be received through phone calls, website and app. Please ensure that good/bad feedback reaches the eateries. Receive feedback for your services with an open mind, accept all shortcomings and make changes accordingly. As for compliments, don’t rest on your laurels, there is always, scope for improvement.
Approach your customers with a smile on your face, a ring in your voice and a sprint in your step. I assure you, these will take you afar.