Home Utility/Services Provider (One Stop)
New times give rise to new issues and thereby call for innovative solutions. The modern age has brought about a major change in the working lives of couples and thereby families. Today the number of couples going out in the world of professional life has increased and is multiplying. The concept of “stay at home” parents is fast declining, while, on the other hand the concept of “nuclear family” is becoming popular. Therefore, the couples having a full time professional life and little or no support at home need some basic services to help tide over basic issues in their lives. “Home utility / Service providers” do exactly that. These service providers offer basic services under one roof.
I. How will such services be useful?
- These services will be useful if provided at one place.
- The basic idea is to save time and energy.
III. What kind of services are these?
- Home Painter
IV. What is this idea based on?
- It is similar to a shopping mall, one stop for all required services.
It is advised that the people who are interested in taking up this work as a profession must have the following qualities:
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Staying updated at all times
- Ability to handle issues
- Ability to handle people
- Ability to remain calm and composed at all times, especially during crises
- Being reliable and supportive
Pointers for people who are excited about taking the plunge in the business of “home utility / service providers”:
- Decide upon which services you wish to provide to your customers
- Keeping yourself in the center, decide upon the circumference, i.e. the area for which you will provide the services
- Prepare a small write up about yourself, with all the details of your services
- Make a list of all the service providers under the heads that you have decided upon. For example, if you wish to provide laundry services, make a list of all the laundries.
- Approach all the service providers and explain the type of service you plan to provide.
- Decide upon the charges etc. and encourage service providers to get associated with you.
- Get all the details from the service providers, such as name, address, contact numbers, types of services provided, their charges, mode of transportation etc.
- Prepare and sign contracts with all concerned and ensure that all associates are on the same page.
- Prepare a database with all details acquired.
- Prepare a pamphlet for your customers. Ensure that all the details about your services, charges, mode of transportation are included.
- Approach everyone in the area that you have decided would be your potential customers.
- Explain to your potential customers, how you would be able to help out in their day to day lives. Some pointers to sell:
- People must just let you know of issues/tasks.
- You will decide upon a schedule of recurring tasks.
- For issues, you will ensure them that “issues will be resolved”.
- There is no need for follow up.
- The basic idea is the customers’ headaches become your own. They will be resolved without any disturbance to the customers.
- Justify the charges you wish to receive. Sell the idea of “outsourcing the nitty gritty of life to you and taking care of other important stuff that needs their attention.”
- Try to know your customers, spend time with them, so you understand their likes and dislikes.
- For services such as home painters, ensure that you have all the shade cards etc. available with you.
- As your business expands, employ trustworthy, hardworking and reliable people to work for you. They will take care of tasks that will ensure smooth functioning of day to day activities.
- While doing all of this, simultaneously start developing your business website in your mind. Write down new ideas; check out other websites to get some ideas etc.
- Invest in your new website, engage good, reliable resources. Give your website developer clear and concise requirements. Check the development at every milestone and give immediate, clear feedback. Ensure that testing happens at developer end too. It is advisable to have a user friendly website that provides clear menus. Navigating the website must be smooth, where people check out availability of services and send in their requests. Also, it is good idea to get your website optimized for search engines. Do it.
- Your website will take you in the homes of each and every person that is computer savvy. Needless to say, this is a huge community. Do invest in building a website for your business, the returns will be great. Keep your website updated continuously.
- The next step is building an app. As a good amount of populace is addicted to cell phones, it is a great idea to be readily accessible to these through mobile apps. With just a couple of clicks, people will place orders of their tasks requirements with you.
- Visit your service providers frequently and update your database for any changes.
Such services are popular as couples are pressed for time; but can afford to pay as they earn handsomely. At the end of the day; earning money doing sincere and hard work is the key to success. While on the way to do so, if you make the lives of young professionals a bit easier, its only the icing on the delicious cake.